|Title:||Director of Engineering|
About Williams Sonoma Inc.
Since it was founded in 1956, Williams - Sonoma has grown from Chuck Williams’ single store in Sonoma, CA into one of the largest retailers in the country, with some best known and most beloved brands in home furnishings, including Williams – Sonoma. Pottery Barn and West Elm.
Our Distribution Centers serve as vital connections between factories and our retail, online and mail-order customers around the world. The Supply Chain environment is dynamic and fast-paced, and the network is expanding rapidly. If you have a background in distribution, manufacturing, engineering, transportation, finance, human resources or home delivery – and are looking for a job with a strong opportunity for gaining new skills and for advancement – our Supply Chain Organization could be just the place for you.
The Director of Engineering position is located in Claremont, NC. This position is responsible for for leading the Engineering team in the field and will lead continuous improvement efforts from an engineering perspective which in turn will yield more automation initiatives and high results for the Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Supply Chain. They will partner with the regional leadership and operations teams to ensure the department is providing effective and safe process operation guidance and support.
You’ll be excited about this opportunity because you will....
- Lead and supervise the engineering and facilities team; hire, train, develop, assess, and empower staff to achieve the department's goals.
- Providing courses of action and options for company expansion, operations, consolidation, engineering layouts, equipment selection, staffing, ergonomics, training, and optimization of resource utilization to improve competitive position for the broader organization.
- Leading analytical studies in collaboration with operations, targeting continuous process improvement.
- Setting strategic goals for an engineered standards program; managing successful implementations; and ensuring proper maintenance.
- Supports and evaluates the application of existing and emerging technologies to improve operational performance. (Automation Exposure)
- Providing thought-leadership and innovative ideas to solve manufacturing problems.
- Streamlining and optimizing fulfillment activities across the network.
- Analyze and develop standards, time and motion studies, statistical analysis and labor planning to improve productivity, quality and service levels
- Recommend reducing waste of materials, such as reorganizing workflow, relocating equipment, and restructuring job duties
- Determine the most efficient sequencing of operations, workflow, and recommend methods to maximize efficiencies
- Responsible for investigating problems, generating recommendations, and implementing solutions based on the use of analytical tools
- Adjust and revitalize work standards, procedures, and layouts as needed to reflect business changes or service enhancements
- Special Projects as assigned for business acquisitions, facility start-ups, integration, and network optimization
- Lead continuous improvements initiatives
- Enforce corporate and brand policies applicable to engineering and facilities.
Check out some of the required qualifications we are looking for in amazing candidates….
- 4-year bachelor’s degree in Business, Logistics, Engineering, Supply Chain, or related field
- 7-10 years successful experience leading a large operations organization
- Experience leading teams of professional Engineers in corporate and field environments.
- Modern automation experience in Distribution Centers or Manufacturing
- Experience leading teams in project work supporting direct-to-consumer (ecommerce) fulfillment operations.
- Firm understandings of operating system, network, and infrastructure technologies; including essential metrics, failure modes, and potential resource constraints Demonstrated success in the management of people and very strong leadership traits.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical, numerical, and reasoning abilities; problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
- Startup mentality: scrappy, creative, and constantly iterating to be best-in-class
We prefer some of these qualities as well….
- MBA (concentration in Business, Logistics, Industrial Engineering, Supply Chain or related field)
- 10-15 years successful experience leading a large operations organization
- Previous Supply Chain Logistics, Transportation or Engineering experience
- Continuous improvement and lean manufacturing expertise
- A wide range of logistics experience which may include start-ups, business turnarounds, expansion, new technologies and equipment additions
- Change management including products and process
- Ability to manipulate large quantities of data to drive business decisions is a must – expert in Microsoft Excel required.
Our company benefits are second to none in the industry….
• Generous discount on all Williams-Sonoma, Inc. brand products
• 401(k) plan and other investment opportunities
• Paid vacations, holidays, and time off to volunteer
• Health benefits, dental and vision insurance, including same-sex domestic partner benefits
Williams-Sonoma, Inc. promotes a drug-free work environment and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At this time, we are not accepting referrals from third party recruiting agencies for this position.