As Director of HR, you will be responsible for driving the people strategy and culture of the Williams Sonoma Inc. Manufacturing locations located in NC and MS. The HR Director will lead and manage a team of professional HR Generalists and Managers to provide innovative and pro-active HR leadership, positive associate relations and solutions in the management of all human resources activities. This role will partner with operations management and executives to support an employee base that ranges from 200-1000 associates across three physical locations. This HR Director position provides the leadership to deliver a spectrum of strategic and tactical HR support and programs for associates and managers.
- Establish credibility and rapport with the line and business executives as well as their teams by providing accountable and comprehensive HR functional leadership and direction.
- Plan, organize and direct all associate relations activities to ensure fair and equitable treatment of all employees, compliance with company policies, and manage legal aspects of employee/employer relationships.
- Champion behavior that is aligned with the company's code of conduct and respectful workplace expectations and “People First” corporate culture.
- Consult with managers and associates on all aspects of associate-related issues including performance management, attendance, productivity, policies and procedures interpretation, misconduct investigations, corrective actions, terminations, and associate communications.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills with all levels of the organization through effective verbal dialogs and written communications, as well as presentations to small and large groups.
- Provide advice and counsel to leaders and associates on a wide array of talent considerations including organizational design, team dynamics, retention and engagement, bench strength and individual coaching for enhanced performance, positive associate relations and skill building.
- Partner with other HR functional groups and Talent Services to provide a superior customer experience for the associates as well as represent your business unit.
- Establish principles and practices for the HR function by determining key performance indicators and measurements for staff and developing HR goals, objectives, systems and processes.
- Recommend new approaches, policies and procedures for continuous improvement of the HR function and overall operations.
- Perform difficult staffing duties including dealing with understaffing, alternative dispute resolution, reduction in force, employment termination, and administering disciplinary procedures.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Management, Human Resources or related discipline.
- 7-10 years’ experience in the following:
o Operating in an HR generalist and/or Employee Relations role
o Interpreting and applying HR policies, procedures, programs and processes
o Leading and managing a team of HR professionals
o Workforce planning, succession planning, and career development planning
o Leadership development, change management, and organizational effectiveness.
o Positive associate relations and/or traditional labor relations experience
- The demonstrated ability to drive business results through HR and broader business initiatives.
- Must be able to instill confidence in operational management with HR Services support.
- Must be results driven and work well within a deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to apply and adapt best practices and techniques to the special requirements of senior management.
- Must have a high degree of business acumen
- Integrity and honesty
- A demonstrated understanding of labor & employment law both state and federal
- HR leadership experience supporting a high-volume furniture manufacturing organization with large populations of hourly non-exempt employees.
- Master’s Degree in Business Management, Human Resources or related discipline.
- SHRM/PHR certified.
- 10+ years in HR experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Operations Leadership experience in furniture manufacturing
- People Management: Assesses skills and manages the work and productivity of others while coaching and developing talent.
- Conflict Management: Views conflict as an opportunity to find common ground and gain cooperation from all parties. Reads situations quickly, actively listens and settles disagreements and disputes equitably.
- Business Communication: Writes, speaks, and presents clearly and succinctly across a variety of communication settings and adjusts communication style to the audience.
- Financial Acumen: Utilizes fundamental concepts of finance to assist with managing budgets, forecast labor, and provides information to account for the financial impact of decision making.
- Creative Thinking: Demonstrates originality and imagination in thinking while developing a solution to a problem.